Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pickled Yellow beans and Carrots


1 bag beans( about 4-5 quarts)
3 bunches  baby carrots
4 quarts water
1 quart vinegar
3/4 cup pickling salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. turmeric
garlic cloves
baby dill
1/4 tsp. pickling spice

Scrub beans and cut ends off. Clean or scrape carrots and ends.  I scraped mine even tho' they were baby carrots. In each jar put 1 clove garlic and a small sprig of baby dill and 1/4 tsp. pickling spice. Boil water, vinegar, sugar, and salt about 3 minutes.  Have your lids boiling for 2 minutes.  I made 7 pints, 4 3/4 pints and still had brine left over for maybe 2 jars, but ran out of veggies. The turmeric just gives the veggies a brighter colour throughout the winter.  Sometimes if I want a hotter taste I add one small dried chili pepper per jar.  This is better with green beans if you want them spicier for Caesar stir sticks, but I prefer no chili pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment