Sunday, August 22, 2010

Glamping Baba's Dills



And after admiring all my dills on the counter...a nice shot of vodka to finish off the dilling process.
Glamping Baba's Dills
1 quart vinegar(Heinz)
4 quarts water
3/4 cup pickling salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
Wash cuc's and pack into jars with sliced carrots or yellow beans or neither. Add 2-3 cloves garlic. How Polish you wanna be? Add 1 teaspoon pickling spice to each jar and a handful of dill. If you like a bit spicy...add one dried chili pepper to each jar. The turmeric will keep your cuc's a nice bright yellow green colour all winter. Boil the brine and pour into each jar over cuc's leaving 1/4 inch air space on top of each jar. Secure lids but don't screw tightly. Each to their own.... but I always put my hot jars into a canner of boiling water and leave them in for 10 minutes. I don't necessarily boil them but they are in the canner for 10 minutes. I have too many jars that don't seal if I don't put them in the canner. I like dills but I ain't eaten 3 jars a week that don't seal. These are generally ready in one week. Again get 'em while they are in season. Hurry!

1 comment:

  1. I did mine too and we ate two jars before they were a full day old. Love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete