Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sweet and Sour Ribs...


I'm still cleaning out my fridge and freezer for 2012. This is an old recipe for Sweet and Sour Ribs from my old Chinese cooking class.

4 cups spareribs cut into small pieces.
3 tsp. soya sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tbsp flour
Flour ribs and then add the rest, coating each rib. Deepfry at 400 degrees for 5 minutes or just brown them in a pot of oil till all red is gone.
Sauce
1 cup white sugar
1 cup vinegar
2 cups water
2 tsp. soya sauce
Thickening made from cornstarch and water.
Bring sugar, vinegar, water and soya sauce to a boil in a pot and add browned  ribs.  Simmer till ribs are well done...anywhere from 1-2 hours depending how soft you like gristle.  I like them simmered about 2 hours and when they are just about ready I thicken the sauce.  You can thicken earlier if you want. Garnish with pineapple chunks or serve by themselves.  I added a bit of red food colouring.

No comments:

Post a Comment