Monday, November 1, 2010

Glampingbaba's Quick Lentil and Potato Soup with a Twist

I usually don't care for lentils but I am trying to be creative...so lentils it is today.  I wanted to spice this soup up a bit and put in diced ham and spinach.  I wasn't thinking when I asked the Deli to cut me two pieces of Black Forest Ham, about 1/2 inch thick.  I just about dropped the package when I looked at the price..$8.32.  This is expensive twisiting.  One slice would have been sufficient and still would have cost me around 5 bucks.  Then a bunch of fresh spinach on top of that.  There better be enough vitamins here to last me all week. This is turning out to be expensive Zupa.
 But after all this, I must say the soup is delicious.

 Delicious!!!


Scrumpdilyisious

Quick Lentil and Potato Soup

1 slice ham( or not)optional
1 onion diced
3 carrots diced
2 stalks celery with leaves diced
3 potatoes diced
1 clove garlic diced
8 cups water
4 teaspoons chicken broth powder( or Veggie)
3 Tablespoons oil
1 1/2  cups orange or green lentils
1 teaspoon Thyme leaves
3/4 teaspoon Cumin
sprinkle of Cayenne pepper or flakes
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper
4 cups shredded fresh spinach leaves
In Dutch oven add oil and saute onions, and garlic till softened. Add ham, potatoes, carrots, celery, lentils and spices and quick stir fry everything for about 5 minutes.  Add water and broth.  Bring to a boil and then turn down and cover and simmer for 45 minutes. 
Just before eating add shredded spinach for a few minutes.

Or like me ....keep your spinach in the fridge washed and when you reheat your soup...add fresh spinach. It'll taste better this way if you plan on reheating.
This is a fast and easy soup and ham is optional.
Enjoy!
I'm sure enjoying mine. I've changed my thoughts about lentils.

No comments:

Post a Comment