Sunday, December 19, 2010

Glampingbaba'a Nalysnyky

Nalysnyky are a rolled pancake or crepe stuffed with a cottage cheese mixture and baked in bubbling sweet whipping cream. These have to be my favorite food at Christmas. These are favorite in Polish and Ukrainian  households. Nice to have in the freezer or give a casserole as a gift at Christmas.







6 eggs
11/2 tsp. oil
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 tsp. salt.
1 container dry cottage cheese(4 cups)
4 tbsp. whipping cream
salt to taste
4 egg yolks

Combine cottage cheese, cream, yolks, and salt to make the filling. Sometimes I use 1 tbsp. dill at this point but I didn't have any so will add it when I bake them.

In another bowl, beat eggs till smooth, add milk and water, and oil and beat slowly.  Add flour and salt and beat until smooth.  Butter frying pan lightly.  I like to keep a brush in melted butter to regrease when the pan gets too dry.  I use a 1/8 measuring  cup for batter and slowly pour batter in and swirl in the frying pan until batter covers it evenly.  I fry until a very light brown on the bottom and just  firm to touch on top. Do not flip them.  Fill each pancake with a spoon full of cottage cheese mixture and roll up like a jelly roll. I use a nonstick,   6 inch frying pan and I cut mine in half.  Arrange crepes  in a buttered  2 quart casserole dish. Pour whipping cream over the crepes to your discretion.  I like to see the liquid in mine so the crepes will soak it up. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes covered and then remove lid and let them brown for about 10-15 minutes more. They will be done when they are light and fluffy. This recipe makes enough for almost three layers of crepes about 3 inches each. They may look liquidy when hot but the crepes will soak up the cream. I freeze mine until I need them and then thaw them out before I add the cream and  bake them with dill. Smaczny!!!

2 comments:

  1. So I found this recipe and it has FINALLY confirmed my doubts. Every recipe I look at says to flip the crepes. I saw a recipe previously that did not say to do that and it makes sense, these little morsels are already very this and the moist but cooked top will hold filling much nicer. Also, other recipes say to use a lot of butter. No mention of whipping cream although I know I have had them in past with it. I think I will prefer to use some whipping cream instead of butter, or maybe a combination of the two. I am so glad to have come across this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make these so often that we came up with a "quick' method. Bought the largest square electric frying pan we could find, 14". Make crepes as in original recipe. We cut our into thirds then place into baking casserole, continue as above. We find the smaller pieces are easier to handle.

    ReplyDelete