Monday, July 26, 2010

Shopping for a Tent...the GlampaVela













































This was an experience in itself. I bought three tents before I knew what I wanted. The first one was cute but it was only 4 feet high and had a separate screened gazebo. The tent would be pretty hard to glamp up. Cramp up would be more like it, since I would be on my knees all weekend. Then I thought about setting up the gazebo and what if there wasn't room for it. Strike that plan...back to Walmart and return. Then off to Canadian Tire. It's hard to buy a medium tent with good centre height but I settled for one that was 5.5 feet. Got it home and decided that nothing is as advertised. I'll probably lose a foot in the dome when set up and still won't be able to stand up in it. Back to Canadian Tire to the return desk. What I really wanted was a nice colourful pink or green tent and now the Glampiness has completely consumed me so I am extremely fussy. So back to Walmart and for under 100 dollars my Coleman "Glamping Vela" is waiting for me. It is a 6 person tent( if you're midgets) 72 inches in the centre, measures 11'by 10' and has a beautiful light green fly that will cover it during the rain. Wow! Wow! Wowee! Let the Glamping begin.

I happily scrapped the single blow up bed I had rolled up and packed the queen sized, double high, self- inflating air bed since we had electricity at the group site. Glamping can be laying under the stars at night and why not do it in a queen sized bed instead of laying your butt on a mat on gravel? Each to their own.
So at 3;30 p.m. I arrive at the site where Uncle Ronnie and Babra from Schnocker's Villa are set up already with a fifth wheel, shade awning, area rugs and picnic table, lawn chairs and cold beer. I have my pick of Crimson Estates so I pick one lot close to the washroom facilities. The first lot is reserved fpr Kiki's Kondo at 57 Kougar Crescent. Next to my site I reserve a lot for Kaczanowski Boyz and Brandy. It looks now like it might rain so gotta get this tent up fast. From taking it out of the compacto box to complete setup took an hour. Anyone who gives you the 10 minute- hokey pokey crap about a quick set up.......give 'em the bird.
Okay GlampaVela is set up and it's time to unload a tightly packed Chrysler and glamp it up a bit. Uncle Ronnie and Babra are off to set up tent #2 down in the Boonies.

#1 Rule Glampers....never let the die hard campers intimidate you with their version of what camping is all about.
I bought some green area rugs for inside my tent and packed up every essential I thought I would need. This included my stainless steel coffe pot, and electric kettle and my heating pad. I knew this would raise eyebrows but it was my adventure.




No comments:

Post a Comment